German cockroaches are one of the most common roaches found in hotels, apartments and restaurants as well as many homes. German cockroaches (eggs included) are introduced to areas hitching a ride on our belongings, boxes, suitcases and various packages.
Cockroaches are cold-blooded insects and in general are very adaptable. They can live up to 3 weeks without food, 1 week without water and are prolific breeders. German cockroaches look very different from the big brown cockroaches that fly into your home. German cockroaches don’t fly so their eggs have to be transported into our living environment. Once inside, they will nest in warm areas so refrigerator motors, computers, electric kettles, dishwashers and other appliances are very appealing to them.
You will recognise them immediately as they are small (only 1 to 2 cm in length) and pale brown in colour.
It takes just one egg capsule, and within six months, you have an infestation on your hands. To avoid a cockroach infestation, you can follow the guidelines below:
Sanitation and German Cockroaches
German cockroaches just need a small amount of food to live, so sanitation and attention to the following is important:
- Empty any indoor rubbish bins daily
- Clean your wheelie bin regularly
- Put all unwanted food away and wipe down your countertops
- Wash dirty dishes so there is no temptation of food remaining
- Clean all kitchen appliances (microwaves, toasters, ovens, refrigerators and stoves) so that it is food and grease-free
- Remove all leftover pet food
- Sweep or vacuum floors for any food or crumbs
- Clean and wipe down any crumbs or food off your kitchen cabinets
Evidence of German Cockroaches
You’ll soon notice if you have a problem with German cockroaches as their excrement looks like black pepper.
If you do notice an excrement, use a torch and check the following places too:
- All cracks and crevices throughout your home
- Behind and under your fridge, stove, microwave, sink or toaster
- Under your dining table top
- All kitchen cabinets especially corners, cracks, and crevices
- The motor area of your fridge
- Soft drink dispensing machines
- Outside and inside switch boxes and electrical outlets
- Under and behind counters in cafes and restaurants
- Around your cash register/s
- Near telephone, vegetable bins
- Your recycling bins and pantry
- Meat counters and check-outs
- Meat chopping blocks
- Cutting boards
- Anywhere that holds moisture and/or warmth
If you find you have an infestation on your hands, then the only way to deal with it is to call in the professionals. Anyone who has had experience with these cockroaches will tell you they can be almost impossible to wipe out unless you know exactly where to look for them. We have found them breeding happily in curtain rail rods and in the legs of furniture.
Don’t waste time and money trying to eradicate these critters yourself. Call the team at Hitman on 07 3801 6505 and they will book you in a time for our Complete Pest Package for just $250. This has a full 12-month warranty on german cockroaches, so if you find the problem persists or if you are re-infested 6 months down the track, your technician will fix the problem free of charge.
This price also includes a FREE termite check PLUS your price is locked in, year after year and guaranteed when you continue your annual treatments with Hitman.